Friday, June 4, 2010

I feel like I'm back at Hogwarts again!

A few days ago I started a new book called The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I've only read a little bit of the book so far and the school that the main character Quentin goes to (called Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy) is definitely similar to Harry Potter's Hogwarts. Let me clarify though, this is NOT a kids book! This is the story of the brilliant but melancholy 17 year old Quentin and what happens when he suddenly finds out that magic is real and he has been accepted into a school of magic. Yeah, I know that sort of sounds like the beginning of the Harry Potter series, but Grossman takes the story into much darker, more mature territory. The characters aren't quite as lovable as the HP-trio and it lacks Rowling's humor, but it's still a good read. I'll do a full review next week when I finish the book. I hope the rest of it is as good as the first 100 pages!


Here's a picture of me in London at King's Cross station, trying to get through to the Hogwarts Express. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, love the photo! Very nice! I'm looking forward to hearing about whether or not you like this new book. Is it a Young Adult book, or just in the normal SciFi section of the bookstore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol: I found the book in the regular section of my library but I've seen some people online calling it YA. I'm hoping to get a chance to read some more this weekend!

    ReplyDelete