I don't have pictures from our first evening there and that's when we went to the historic downtown area. If you've ever seen pictures of Savannah then you've probably already seen River Street and some of the famous squares. We took tons of pictures of the historic area when we went in 2008 so I'll save those for another post. This time I'm going to focus on some of the lesser known but really fun attractions in the Savannah area.
First up is a place that I mentioned yesterday, called the Wormsloe Historic Site. Below is a picture of the entrance. Doesn't it look kind of spooky with that spanish moss hanging down from the tree? After going through the entrance, you go up a long oak lined drive to the small museum and trails. The ruins of the original colonial house are down by the marsh. This is a nice place for a walk in nature (although a little warm in the heat of August). This area was also a plantation at one time and there is a private residence (mansion) on one corner of the grounds that the descendents of the original landowner (Noble Jones) still own.

Another fun place to visit if you enjoy history is Fort Pulaski. It's historically significant because the Union Army was successful in destroying part of it with a cannon during the Civil War, making this type of fort obsolete. It was a beautiful day when we visited and we spent a lot of time just wandering around. There's a drawbridge and moat, lots of cannons, and you can climb up to the top for a great view of the surrounding marsh.

The next day we took a boat ride to see the dolphins between Savannah & Tybee. It's just a little past the fort so you could do both of these on the same day easily. We took Captain Mike's tour, which I would highly recommend but call ahead to book your spot because spaces fill up fast. It's an hour tour and they do it several times a day, including a sunset tour. It's reasonably priced and we saw lots of dolphins so it was worth it! Here's me on the dock with our yellow boat in the background.

We also got a great view of the Cockspur Island Lighthouse from the boat. This is not to be confused with the other lighthouse by the beach on Tybee (which is also fun to tour). You can get to Cockspur by boat, jetski, or kayak. As you can see in the picture below, it was high tide, making for a cool picture with the water lapping at the stairs.

To finish off the day, which happened to be my husband's birthday, we went to a baseball game in town. The Savannah Sand Gnats are a minor league team and they have a great stadium not too far from the historic district. Tickets are cheap -- we sat in the first rown right behind home plate! This would be a fun, inexpensive place to take your kids. They had fireworks after the game and the food there was reasonably priced. It was a great way to end the weekend and celebrate my baseball-loving husband's birthday!

I hope this gives people a few ideas for places to visit if you're ever in Savannah! What does everyone think about feature? Are you interested in seeing more travel pics and hearing about other places we've visited?
I LOVE Savannah! My very best friend lives there and her husband manages the Marriott in the Historic District so we've stayed there a lot. It's such a great place!!! Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun time! The pic of that lighthouse is amazing.
ReplyDeleteOooh, looks great! I love these photos! And you're cute as ever. =)
ReplyDeleteOh! It let me post comments today! Whoooo! =D
ReplyDeleteAhh, it looks like fun! I've always wanted to go to Savannah - I blame my obsession with Gone With The Wind, Southerners, and the Girl Scouts!
ReplyDeleteThese are some truly beautiful pictures. I've never been to Savannah, but it's definitely on my radar now that you've done this terrific post. And you saw dolphins -- I'm jealous!
ReplyDeleteI think Travel Tuesday is an awesome idea! Savannah looks so beautiful, I'd love to get there someday. Your making me want the It's Your Move Skirt - so cute on yoU!
ReplyDeleteSavannah (sigh) looks like such a romantic city. I have always wanted to visit... You are totally taunting me with those pictures!
ReplyDelete