This dress always gives me trouble but I keep giving it another chance. It needs to be belted but I inadvertently created a maternity look by putting it higher than usual. And I'm not pregnant so that's a problem. This dress is a tad too long so I was trying to remedy that by tucking some of it under my belt to shorten it but the dress has an empire waist so that's why I belted it so high.
I think I'll get the dress hemmed to solve the length problem and only wear it with a belt at my natural waist over a cardigan. We're having a little heat wave today -- seriously it feels like July again! I had to dig out my sandals from the back of my closet.
Dress: LOFT
Belt: Anthro
Cardigan: LOFT
Sandals: Target
Bracelet: vintage
Belt: Anthro
Cardigan: LOFT
Sandals: Target
Bracelet: vintage
Now for the Q&A:
I randomly picked three more of the questions that I got from readers to answer today:
1. Mandy asked: if you could personify yourself as an animal, which animal would you choose and why?
The first thing that came to mind was a cat. I'm very independent and like to have a lot of alone time. I can also be warm and cuddly at times too. I think a cat best captures that duality of my personality.
2. Debbie Deb asked: is there a fashion trend that you used to wear growing up that makes you cringe when you think about it today? if not, is there a trend today that you'd like to see disappear?
I was a kid in the 80's so you can imagine some of the crazy things I wore back then. My sister was a teenager and I loved to copy her style. I remember wearing my jeans "tight-rolled" (some people called it "pegged"). I also had this outfit that I loved which consisted of black leggings with lace at the bottom with my sister's over-sized purple sweatshirt. I think I had a crazy-big bow that I wore with it too. Yeah, I thought I was stylish at the time. I'd cringe now if I found any pictures of those outfits! :-)
3. Tricia asked: What are you most afraid of?
I'm a big scaredy cat but at the top of the list of things I'm afraid of are:
--heights: mostly open-heights -- I had a scary experience at the top of a jungle gym as a kid
--spiders: eeeeeek!!
--getting in a car accident: If I could live somewhere that had good public transportation, I'd never drive again! I got into an accident about 8 years ago and totaled the car but somehow managed to walk away unhurt. I still have nightmares about my car spinning in slow motion across three lanes though.
Debbie...I think you look really cute today. But I know what you mean...this has happened to me quite often. And by the time I realized I've had a wardrobe fail, it's too late. :)
ReplyDeleteDebbie, I think you look great. This is definitely not a fail!
ReplyDeleteI think you look cute today Debbie! But I know how you feel when things don't look the same way as you imagined them in your head. Happens to me all the time!
ReplyDeleteYou are being way too hard on this outfit - I think you look cute! The color is great on you, so I'm glad you're going to have the dress altered and make it work better for you :) I'm sorry that your scary car accident still leaves you feeling shaken at times. I'm with you on spiders, double EEKS!
ReplyDeleteI like your outfit I think you are way off base since you don't look prego!! I am with you on the spiders thing too I hate those little guys!
ReplyDeleteShoot, Debbie, go to the F21 site - lacy leggings and over-sized sweatshirts are IN again! ;o)
ReplyDeleteDebbie, what a lovely OOTD! I love that your style is consistent, and you stick with what you know and what works for you. Im not so fond of spiders too! One time i saw a spider on our front gate and i waited for 15 minutes for someone to pass by and get rid of it for me before i opened the gate!
ReplyDeleteDebbie I'm with the other girls above, I tried real hard to see what the 'fail' was in the picture but couldn't see it. If you didn't feel knockout then fair enough but definitely give this combo another chance!
ReplyDeleteI'd also like to be a cat if I were an animal. I have a 3yo dark tortie called Isabella who I adore, she is so snuggly and affectionate. I'd like to think if I were a cat I'd be just like that :)
I love how you combined green and navy (or is it black?). I think your outfit looks cute, but I do have a few dresses from LOFT that tend to look maternity on me, and they're always hard to style.
ReplyDeleteI'm not scared of heights or spiders, but I am scared of things that swarm (ie, bees, ants...basically anything that lives in a colony). Just the thought of it makes me feel claustrophobic.
Thanks everyone! You've made me see that this outfit wasn't quite as bad as I thought. ;-)
ReplyDeleteLisa: That's funny about the leggings & over-sized sweatshirts coming back in style! haha
Jen: I can totally relate to your story about waiting for someone to get rid of the spider for you. My husband hates bugs too but he knows that he has to get rid of them because I just get paralyzed with fear at the thought of touching them.
Louise: Your cat sounds really sweet! That's the kind I would want to be too. :-)
I do love the green on you, Debbie! And for what it's worth, I've always been a little jealous of your way of putting things together. I guess that's what makes the world such a beautiful place...we all do things so differently!
ReplyDeleteKristina J.
Hi Debbie! Thank you for answering my question! I'm right there with you, I'm also a girl of the 80s and wore the same things! I probably have some photos somewhere, eek!
ReplyDeleteAlso, you look cute in your OOTD! I don't see anything wrong, but I definitely know what you mean. I had that moment a couple weeks ago :)
Kristina: Thanks! That's an awesome compliment coming from someone who is so stylish & talented! I love your style and wish I had your sewing skills. :-)
ReplyDeleteDebbie Deb: Weren't the 80's fun with all the crazy colors and styles?! My friend had an 80's themed birthday party and it was fun re-living the styles of our past. :-) haha