Friday, October 8, 2010

OOTD: Bookworm

This was my OOTD for the class I taught on Wednesday. One of my students told me I looked very studious. I think it was because of the glasses! ;-)

Blouse & Cardigan: Ann Taylor
Belt: Anthropologie
Skirt: Eddie Bauer
Tights: Hue
Shoes Target
Necklace: Urban Outfitters


Actually that description of me is pretty accurate because I am a little bookworm. Hermione (from the Harry Potter series) is my hero. ;-)
One of the questions I was asked in my giveaway entries was from Heather who wanted to know:
What is your favorite book and why?

This is a tough one for an English major! So I'm going to cheat and tell you a little bit about five of my favorites. ;-)

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
This was my favorite book in high school. I love the setting of the moors & the English countryside and the characters. I've read this book so many times and it gets better each time!

2. Huck Finn by Mark Twain
I love that this book can be read on so many different levels by different age groups. As a child, I enjoyed the adventure story aspect. When I read it again in college (several times) I gained a whole new appreciation for the issues that Twain was exploring and for his sense of humor.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I've loved this book ever since I first read it in high school. The story always draws me in and the characters are so interesting. This is also one of my favorite books to teach. My students always love it so I don't have a problem getting them to actually read it and discuss it. The last time I taught it, the movie version happened to be on TV the day after we finished it, and at the next class several of my students were so excited because they had watched it and thought it followed the book so well and everything looked just as they imagined it would. It's fun to see my students really connect with a piece of literature. :-)

4. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
I have to admit that I'm a little obsessed with Victorian-era London, so the setting alone makes me love this book. ;-) I also love the timeless quality of the story. Besides reading the book several times, I've also seen just about every film version of it that I could get my hands on, including the silly ones like the Muppet version and the ones set in modern times like the 1988 Scrooged starring Bill Murray. And I loved them all no matter how cheesy! When I have children, I'd like to start a tradition of reading this book together every year at Christmas.

5. I adore all of the books in the Harry Potter series, but if I was forced to pick just one as a favorite, it would be Half-Blood Prince. I loved all the flashback scenes and learning more about Voldemort's past. Also, Snape is one of my favorite characters so I thought it was pretty cool that it was his old book helping Harry all along. ;-)

Are there any other bookworms out there? What's your favorite book?

9 comments:

  1. Love this outfit! The colors are so fall-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the maroon and camel colors here...I used to read ALOT..I even got the little Kindle for Xmas....just cant find the time:(


    Enter my Wendy Hammer Designs Purse Giveaway♥
    Statements in Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE these colors on you Debbie - you look so beautiful and so perfectly dressed for Fall! The Great Gatsby is one of my all time faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is so fall-like (and it is very studious looking!). You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your tights, I think I bought a similar colour recently. Must dig them out!

    I am a voracious reader and get through a couple of books a week but I don't read many of the classics. Things like Wuthering Heights are on my list of "one days"... I will get there! I have all the Harry P and Twilight books though which I have re-read and will do so again in future :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Wuthering Heights, too. Also Emma, Northanger Abbey, The Little Prince, The Shrinking of Treehorn, and The Princess Bride (which is 1,000 times funnier than the movie, if you can believe it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the books on your list. And I agree with PuppyLovePrincess that The Little Prince is a wonderful story. Other favorites of mine are The Wind in the Willows...and The Faerie Queene (I usually get a few raised eyebrows with TFQ).

    I love the maroon color scheme you're wearing. It is so perfect for this time of year. I don't know if you've been watching Project Runway, but Gretchen often designs in maroon and camel -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit is so awesome Debbie! It's very school-girl and preppy but still appropriate and so cute :) Oh, and I am a total bookworm too. I've read and loved all of the ones you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. studious definitely sounds like a compliment to me! You look great! I love how your tights match your cardi!

    LoriSpeak

    ReplyDelete