
Shifting Feathers Dress (Anthropologie)
Roaming Frills Cardigan (Anthropologie)
Skinny Belt (J Crew)
Pessinus Garden Necklace (Anthropologie)
Nude Fishnet Tights (JC Pennys)
Black Shoes (Steinmart)
And now for my fellow bookworms:
I've been doing a lot of reading lately (beyond my usual research work and baby book readings) and wanted to share some of my favorites with you.
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
I finished this last weekend and was going to do a mini-review but I'm having a hard time thinking of what to say about it without giving too much away. I do highly recommend it if you like long books that take you on an epic journey through mysterious and fascinating places and back in time. I love the way this book brings together the stories of different characters, spanning several different time periods. If you're interested in history then you will enjoy this book. The author cleverly ties the story of Dracula to the real-life Vlad the Impaler. If you're expecting Twilight vampires though you'll be disappointed. Dracula isn't actually in the novel very much. If you like this book, I also recommend Kostova's other novel, The Swan Thieves, which is equally as intriguing.
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
Right now I'm in the middle of this amazing book! I seriously love Morton's writing style and I've gushed over her other novels The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton before. These books remind me of the things I loved about classics like The Secret Garden and Little Women but they're more grown up and a little darker at times. I'll do a review of this one when I'm done.
Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor
Although I read mostly fiction, I also love a good piece of non-fiction occasionally, especially when it involves travel. I'm listening to this book on CD while doing errands and during my Wednesday night commutes. I've only heard the first two CD's but I can already tell you that this is a beautifully written book about a mother and daughter and their trip together through Greece, Turkey, and France. It alternates back and forth between the mother's voice and the daughter's, creating a well-balanced mix. I see a lot of myself in both the daughter and the mother. I also bought this book for my own mother for Christmas and I really hope she reads it and enjoys it as much as I do.
Anyone else have any good books to add to the recommendation list?
Have a happy Friday! :-)
I LOVE how this outfit came together, the touches of black and the pretty sweater - it all looks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI just finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See for book club, and thought it was excellent until the ending, which felt really abrupt. This month we are reading Sarah's Key and I haven't started yet but I've heart all fantastic reviews. I'll have to check out these books too, I'm always thrilled for recommendations!
Great outfit! It's really cute with the skinny black belt! Have you ever seen that show "Storage Wars" on A&E? Anyway, one of the girls on that show was wearing the Shifting Feathers Dress. I always get really excited when I spot Anthro on tv!
ReplyDeleteLove this outfit! That dress is so pretty on you! And thanks for all the book recs, now I just need to find the time to read them all. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm 160 pages into Audrey Niffeneggers 'Her Fearful Symmetry' and really enjoying it so far. Before that I finished Sophie Hannah's 'A Room Swept White' although the subject matter might not be approriate for you given your pregnancy. I enjoyed it though so plan to check out some more of hers. Next up will probably be 'House Rules' by Jodi Picoult which is the size of a brick in paperback yet Amazon had it for £3, deal!!
ReplyDeleteAnyway I always love this dress when you wear it, it just looks so damn comfy. Is it jersey?
Jan: The book by Lisa See sounds interesting. My mom read another of her books -- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan -- and liked it.
ReplyDeleteMeghan: Thanks! I didn't see that episode of Storage Wars but like you, I love spotting Anthro on TV!
Jessica: Thank you! I know what you mean about finding the time. I'm trying to get as much reading in before the baby comes because I know I'll be exhausted and super busy once he/she is here!
Louise: I like Her Fearful Symmetry too! I was in a book club at the time and we all agreed that it was an interesting book but the ending could have been better. I won't give it away for you though since you're not done!
Yes, the dress is jersey and it is so soft. Also, it's lined with another layer of solid blue jersey which makes it more substantial without taking away its comfortable lightness.
So the Historian doesn't feature handsome, god-like looking vampires? awww...that's a shame!
ReplyDeleteThe Distant Hours sounds like an interesting read. I need to start reading books again.
Lovely outfit! I can see a hint of your growing baby bump :-)
Pretty dress! I love how it looks almost like watercolors.
ReplyDeleteI have The Historian but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Doris recommended it to me,(actually I think it's her copy)! Also, yes read a lot before the baby comes...trust me. :)
ReplyDeleteThat dress looks gorgeous paired with the cardi and belt. Good job!
ReplyDeletewww.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com