
I can't give many details about the story because that would spoil the mystery but I will say that in general what drew me to this book was the wonderful way that three different threads of the story were brought together, spanning three generations of women in a family and the unraveling of the mystery of one woman's past. The writing was beautifully done and the descriptions of the English estate and grounds where most of the action takes place were entrancing. It was the characters, more than anything, that kept me reading though. I just had to know what happened to them and learn their secrets. Sometimes it can be distracting when a book goes back and forth to different time periods but in this book the three stories were so intertwined that it worked really well and each thread was equally compelling.
You MUST read this book! If you think you're too busy to read, just take it in small chunks like I did. I'll warn you, this is a long book but it's such a worthwhile read.
If you like Morton's writing, you should also check out her first novel, The House at Riverton. It looks like she's working on another one, The Distant Hours, which is set to be released this month!
Oooh I love a good book!!! I will totally check it out!
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie, I love it when ppl pass on book recommendations (or better yet, the actual book itself!). I didn't recognise it from the cover on your post, had a look on Amazon UK rather than your link above and it turns out this was in my recommendations based on my buying history, as was the House at Riverton!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debbie! I've been trying to find a book to read and this would be perfect. I love some good writing and English style writing. :)
ReplyDeleteTricia: I think you'll like it! :-)
ReplyDeleteLouise: It sounds like you must like the same kind of books as me so I think you'll enjoy this one. Both are excellent but I liked The Forgotten Garden best so maybe start with it. House at Riverton kind of had the same feel to it as Ian McEwan's Atonement which I really enjoyed.
Cindi: Yay, I hope you will check it out! Let me know if you read and enjoy it! It starts off in Australia and then England so you get to mentally escape to other lands. :-)
Debbie, thanks for sharing! I have so little free time but have been looking for a worthy novel to read over the thanksgiving holidays. Crossing my fingers my library has it!!
ReplyDeleteDea: I hope you get a chance to read it! I think it came out in February this year so there's a good chance your library will have it. Maybe check in the newer books section if your library has that.
ReplyDeleteI actually read this book last month and was entranced for the entire story. What a page-turner! Stayed up way past my bedtime on many occasions just because I couldn't put it down. I'm going to see if my library has House at Riverton. I"m anxious to read more Kate Morton. Thanks for sharing this great book!
ReplyDelete