Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Travel Tuesday: New Orleans

I'm still looking for more of my England pictures so that I can do another "Across the Pond" edition, but until then, here are some cool photos from our New Orleans trip last year.

I recommend staying in the Garden District and taking the St. Charles streetcar into the French Quarter.



We toured some of the city's cemeteries and got some great pictures like this one that my husband captured of this friendly little kitty who was hanging out in Lafayette Cemetery No. 1.



We were excited to find the "Benjamin Button House" where some of the scenes from the movie were filmed! Not too far from here you can also find Anne Rice's old house and the Real World house. There are lots of beautiful houses in the Garden District so we had fun just walking around taking them all in.



After taking the streetcar into the city one day we made a visit to the famous Jackson Square. Cafe Du Monde is near here -- the place where you can get delicious beignets! Yum! If you love sweets, you'll also want to check out Leah's for some pralines.



The Canal Street streetcar will take you from the French Quarter to the City Park by the lake.



From there we walked to Metairie Cemetery for some more cool pictures:



Back in the Garden District, we walked around the beautiful campus of Tulane and Audubon Park across the street.



We also took a side trip to Oak Alley, one of several old plantations along River Road, not far outside of the city. This is the entrance which has 28 oak trees lining the walk up to the "Big House."



Near the end of our trip, we headed over to Baton Rouge, which is also a fun place to visit for the day if you're in the area. The capitol building there is the tallest in the country! You can see it in the background of the picture below. In the foreground is Huey Long's memorial which is positioned to look out at the building he championed. In 1935, Senator Long was fatally wounded by an assassin in the Capitol building and he is buried on the grounds.



View of Baton Rouge from the observation deck, 27th floor:



I hope you enjoyed my photos! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Hey Debbie,thanks for sharing your pics of New Orleans. I've never been there before, so it's good to see what it is like. Such a pity I'm all the way downunder!
    And my, the "Big House" would be perfect for an Anthro photoshoot! hehe.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to travel there!!! What a cool place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been so many interesting places. It truly inspires me. And beignets and pralines -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous photos. I love the picture of Jackson Square and the Big House...wow! I've been once, so, so long ago and it was a quick trip for a wedding. I really need to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There! Popped over after seeing Anthroholic's weekly reader outfits! It was quite serendipitous! I had just reviewed some unnamed Bordeaux Cardi from anthro that the personal shopper brought me, and then I saw it in your outfit of the week (and learned its name!) Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen: If you're ever in the States, New Orleans is a fun place to visit! I agree that the Oak Alley house would be a great place to take Anthro pictures! :-)

    Tricia: It definitely is a cool place! We went the week after Mardi Gras and the trees were still decorated with beads!

    Jamie: We love to travel and this was one of favorites! The food in New Orleans, including the sweets, was SO good!

    Gemma: You should definitely visit again if you get the chance. There is so much to see and do there!

    Lori: Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll go check out your review of the Spanish Steps cardi. It's one of my favorite recent purchases!

    ReplyDelete